Thursday, February 23, 2012

I Speak My Mind...

... and I took over the show.
Urkel doll by Hasbro

"I Speak My Mind" is the caption on (Steve) Urkel's box, the doll created by Hasbro, box date 1991, in the likeness of Jaleel White's Family Matter's character.

This is another doll that I rediscovered during my search for Mego's Diana Ross.

Urkel is a pull-string talker that says some of the nerdy phrases the character spoke on Family Matters.  This long-running show, "focused on the character of police officer Carl Winslow and his family: wife Harriette Winslow, son Eddie Winslow, elder daughter Laura Winslow, and youngest child Judy Winslow (until Season 4)... Steve Urkel was introduced midway through the first season of Family Matters and eventually became the focus of the show."  Read more (if desired) about the show history here.

When cropping the image for this post, I noticed Urkel's suspenders and denim jeans are cleverly incorporated into the box design. 

Except for the fact that doll collecting was new to me at the time this doll was purchased, when I found almost every black doll that wasn't nailed down "collectible," I haven't a clue way I wanted Urkel.   

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

2 comments:

  1. "Did I do that?" No real collection is complete without an Urkel doll. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... snort, snort.

      I now know why I purchased Urkel. He falls into the personality doll category of dolls that I used to actively collect.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!