Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Let Your Dreams Run Free

Flo Jo by LJN, 1989

The words in the title of this post appear on the front of Flo Jo's doll box:  Let Your Dreams Run Free.  This is what little girls who played with the Flo Jo doll were encouraged to do.

The stunning, 1988 Olympic track and field champion Florence Griffith Joyner "is still considered the "fastest woman of all time" based on the fact that she still holds the world record for both the 100 metres and 200 metres, both set in 1988 and never seriously challenged. She died of epilepsy in 1998 at the age of 38." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Griffith-Joyner). 

Known for her fashionable running attire, lengthy and colorful fingernails, mounds of hair styled in a variety of ways, and her overall glamour, Flo Jo, is still fondly remembered by many. 

"Florence brought a certain style to track, something so different, with her fashionable appearance and her stunning speed."-- Patricia Rico, president, USA Track and Field

LJN's 1989 Flo Jo doll
In 1989, LJN manufactured the 11-1/2-inch doll that bears Flo Jo's likeness.  The doll was the last one removed from the shelf where many of my celebrity dolls line the shelf and rest against the back wall.  Baby dolls are seated on the same shelf in front of the boxed celebs obscuring the boxed dolls' view.  Removing every baby and each celeb doll is what led to my finally finding Mego's Diana Ross!  Woo hoo!

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

6 comments:

  1. Glad you found Diana but her absence caused you to unearth some treasures. I picked up Flo Jo on sale for $5 in a KB Toys and was thrilled to have her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $5 for Flo Jo was a great price! I just wish the dolls had been given articulation "back in the day." But I guess with time comes progress.

      I'm glad I found Diana, too. The final October 2011 post to my doll group written by my dear friend, Ruth, (re: DR's sister, that I did not read at the time it was posted), is what prompted me to locate my DR doll. One thing often leads to another.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Wow, what a beautiful doll. And so nice for girls to have such a wonderful, positive role model to look up to, and even to have as a doll.

    You found your Diana Ross doll? Excellent! Please take some pictures of this elusive beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flo Jo is a lovely doll; the real person was even lovelier.

      The pictures of Ms. Ross are forthcoming.

      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  3. That is great that you found your Diana doll. I have this Flo Jo doll. I still have her NRFB also. She is kind of dear to heart to me. I am asthmatic as was Flo Jo. I admired her as an athelte because she didn't allow her asthma to hinder her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana has come out!

      Good you have Flo Jo, Georgia Girl. Some dolls do not need to be removed from the box to be enjoyed, IMO. Flo Jo is one.

      So sorry about your asthma. I hope its under control.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!