Sunday, February 26, 2012

Real Models

Real Model Beverly Johnson by Matchbox 1989
Real Model Beverly Johnson - Head shot

Last week I reconnected with 11-1/2-inch doll, Beverly Johnson from the Real Model Collection by Matchbox, 1989. Ms. Johnson is the first African American model to appear on the cover of  Vogue magazine, August 1974 issue. The other portrait dolls in the Matchbox Real Model Collection include former super models Christie Brinkley and Cheryl Tiegs. In addition to modeling, Johnson has done some acting, launched a line of multicultural beauty products, and will star, along with her daughter and son-in-law, in the reality TV show, "Beverly's Full House."  The show is scheduled to premiere on Saturday, March 31, 2012, on the OWN network. 

Naomi Campbell by Hasbro, 1995
Naomi Campbell - head shot

Most people know British-born super model, Naomi Campbell.  Finding the Naomi Campbell doll minus the box or other ID indicators might make identifying the doll as a 3D portrait of Campbell difficult.  Manufactured by Hasbro and distributed only in the United Kingdom, this 11-1/2 doll has a box date of 1995.  It is hard to believe Campbell endorsed it, but according to the back of the box, "Naomi ...participated in the creation of the outfit worn by her doll."  Both the doll and the fashion lack appeal.  Why, then did I buy it?  Collectors-itis:  I collect portrait/celebrity dolls.  This one was made for a non-US market. These two features made it desirable.  I had not seen it in person prior to buying it in the late 1990s, however.  Had that been the case or had I seen a good photo image beforehand, Naomi, the doll, would probably not be here. 

I think Madame Alexander's original Paris Williams doll sculpt resembles Naomi Campbell. 

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

7 comments:

  1. I have both these dolls. I agree with you about the Naomi Campbell doll. She was one of my first purchases on ebay and I paid too much for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased my Naomi Campbell on eBay, too. I don't remember what I paid, but it was probably too much, too.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. I have and love my Beverly Johnson doll. I saw Naomi but wasn't impressed and didn't buy her. She reminded me more of a clone than Naomi. The 1st Adele reminds me more of Naomi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smart move on not purchasing the Naomi doll Dollz4Moi. It does look like a clone!

      :-)

      dbg

      Delete
  3. Matchbox also made a sweet treats black dolls that is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie do you have a Matchbox Disco Girls doll? she looks like the World full of Soul doll

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not own Domino. Matchbox must have acquired the licensing for Hasbro's World of Love dolls because Domino is the exact same doll as Hasbro's Soul.

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!