Thursday, December 5, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Ribbon 'N Braid Latin American Princess Consuelo

Consuelo is another wish listed doll that I have now found.  I did not wish for a specific version of this 1994 doll by Olmec, but I am pleased with the non-ball gown version that I found.
Ribbon 'N Braid Latin American Princess Consuelo

This version is Ribbon 'N Braid Consuelo, recorded as follows on my 2013 Doll Inventory Excel spreadsheet.  The columns are for month of purchase, manufacturer and copyright year, doll's name, and description.
November Olmec 1994 Ribbon 'N Braid Consuelo The Latin American Princess 11-1/2 inch fashion doll has brown hair with pink ribbon braided into her long side braid, curly bangs; brown painted eyes; wears multicolored pink, orange, blue, yellow off-shoulder tunic, pink Capri pants with trim at hem that matches fabric of tunic, gold tone hoop earrings; additional hair accessories and earring charms for the doll and gold tone hoops for the child are included.   A very cute Latina girl models the child-size clip-on earrings.   Several pictures of the same child appear on the back of the box along with a picture of the creator, Yla Eason and her son, Menelik.  
Back of Consuelo's box includes several images of a cute little girl with the doll, a head shot of Yla Eason and son, and The Olmec Story.
The Olmec Story (from back of box)
Almost ten years ago, my son sent shock waves through my body when he said he couldn't be a super hero because he thought some dreams didn't come in his skin color.  That was my inspiration to create Sun Man, the world's greatest super hero.  Now playing with toys that look like him makes him feel good.  We hope our toys help your children's self image too.

At Olmec our love, our hopes, our skills, our styles, and "Our pride is in our toys."  We are you!

Well known for being chiefly an African American doll manufacturer, Olmec also made Latina fashion dolls as illustrated by Consuelo, and an Asian fashion doll, Kim. 
***
It took well over a year for Consuelo to join the other Olmec dolls in the family:  Elise, Naomi, Imani, and Menelik, all from the 1990s.  Read more about the creator/owner of Olmec here.  The original Imani and Menelik can be seen after scrolling here.

dbg

Follow my Dolls for Sale blog

Please visit and "Like" The Doll Blogs: When Dolls Speak I Listen

9 comments:

  1. WOW! I don't remember seeing this doll before. Great score! I would love to see a close up of the face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms. Leo!

      A close-up of Consuelo can be seen on Limbe Dolls blog. Her post about her doll is what reminded me I needed to get serious about finding one for myself.

      I will try to remember to take a close up image of my doll and add it to this post. It will probably have to be done outside when the weather is warmer since I do not intend to remove her from the box and the flash interferes with the cellophane of the box. Today it it too ca-ca-ca-cold.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. Hola, no las conocía, espero lleguen a México, gracias por compartirnosla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other than Barbie, what types of dolls are available in Mexico, Lindaivette?

      dbg

      Delete
  3. I like that outfit she is wearing quite a bit. It looks like something I would have worn in the late 80's. I was much more colorful then, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting a Wish List doll ;-) She's cute in her bright outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is so cute! I don't remember seeing this doll before.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!