Saturday, July 18, 2015

I'm a Pretty Little Black Girl! - Mia

Before Mia leaves to reside in her permanent home with my soon-to-be 10-year-old niece, she complied with a photo shoot to be shared here.  The text from the back of the box describes her story:

MEET MIA!
Mia has stepped off the pages of the best selling picture book, "I'm a Pretty Little Black Girl!", which was nominated for an NAACP Image Award.

Mia loves how she looks and celebrates herself in everything she does.  As the first doll created from a modern picture book written specifically for little black girls, tenacious Mia will bring joy and hours of imaginative play to any little girl.

Mia is an 18-inch doll [with]:

  • Beautiful rooted hair for hours of hair play
  • Bright sparkling eyes that open and close
  • Soft body with poseable arms and legs
  • Stylish removable clothes
  • Fits most 18" doll clothes and accessories

The author of I'm a Pretty Little Black Girl!, Betty K. Bynum, partnered with the Madame Alexander doll company to bring the character, Mia, to life.  It is refreshing to see Mia's new head sculpt which has not been used for other Alexander dolls.  Mia's lovely thick rooted hair can be combed and styled in the several ways illustrated on the following Internet-captured promotional photo that enticed this purchase.

My niece is going to love Mia!
Additional photos illustrate Mia's loveliness:

Mia's cute full lips form a slight pout.



The separately sold, hard copy book, I'm a Pretty Little Black Girl!, has received an average of 4.9 out of 5 stars on Amazon.com.  Of course I had to purchase a copy for my niece, who enjoys reading as much as she loves dolls.  The fact that she enjoys both pleases me.

A visit to the author's website, provides additional details about the I'm a Girl Collection, which includes apparel and the following other titles:

  • I'm a Lovely Little Latina
  • Hooray I'm a Girl in the USA
  • I'm an Awesome Asian Girl


At the time of this post, Mia is the only character that has come to life in three-dimensional doll form. Perhaps the others will follow.

Addendum
Get added to their email list and get a code for 20% off your next Madame Alexander.com here.
Buy Mia here.

dbg

12 comments:

  1. It looks like they did a great job with this doll - all those hairstyles are impressive! I can imagine that she'll be great fun for your niece to play with. :)

    I hope she's selling well enough that they make tie-in dolls for the other "I'm a Girl" titles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Mia sells well, too, jSarie. I suppose I should have shared a link to help in that regard. Will share here and add the link to the post. I paid $39.20 with free shipping. After I clicked the buy link, there was a pop-up window with an option for me to join the Madame Alexander mailing list for 20% off my "next" purchase. I joined; and since Mia was my "next" purchase, the cost was $39.20. I chose economy Fed Ex shipping, which was free.

      dbg

      Delete
  2. I love her, she's a very pretty doll. It's nice to see how much fun you can have with her hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Farrah Lily!

    She's been gift wrapped and is ready to be mailed to her new home.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's pretty darn cute as is that pout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I am often a sucker for cuteness. Her face and hair won me over.

      dbg

      Delete
  5. This doll is really cute. Your niece is sure to spend hours playing with this beautiful doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, Arnette. I can't wait to hear her reaction.

      I read the storybook before gift wrapping the book. While it is a beneath her current reading level, I think she will enjoy the story and the message it provides about self-esteem and loving the skin you're under, from your head to your toes.

      dbg

      Delete
  6. What a cutie pie! Your niece is going to love her. I love her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My niece gets to open her packages today, Vanessa. I am looking forward to her phone call later today.

      dbg

      Delete
    2. What was you nieces reaction to Mia?

      Delete
    3. She called the evening of her birthday to thank me for Mia and the AG Bitty Baby clothes. She didn't seem overly excited about Mia, but I am sure she likes her.

      dbg

      Delete

Your comments are appreciated. To eliminate spam, all comments are being moderated and will be published upon approval. Thank you!